Understanding the X6100's heating due to the external power supply

I wanted to further understand the X6100's heating due to the external power supply's current and thus power (in watts) as the power supply's voltage is changed from 13.8 to 9 volts DC. The mode was CW and an external dummy load was used. See below for the data that I collected.

Some observations:

1.     In receiving only, the power to the X6100 stays constant at about 6 watts. My X6100 will get very warm after being on for 30 or more minutes. Note the X6100 manual specifies that the maximum receiving current would be a max of 330 ma. So much for Xiegu's specifications!



2.     Battery charging power does decrease with a reduced power supply voltage.

3.     Even with an output power setting of .1 watt, the power needed by the X6100 when transmitting CW will range from about 21 W @ 9 VDC to about 32 W @ 13.8 VDC. So running WSPR even at .1 watt will heat up the X6100 quickly. Some sort of external cooling would be in order even at this low output power level.

4.     This trend continues up to a set output power of 10 W where reduced input voltage can lower the rig's watts consumed significantly. (Note I am neglecting the actual RF power going to the dummy load in my testing.) (With a setting of 10 watts, the X6100 actually showed an output power of 11 watts. A setting of .1, 1 and 5 were spot on.)

5.     These numbers are for CW for a few seconds of key down time. Other modes and their duty cycle's during usage would affect these average current and power readings significantly.

I'm going to switch from my 13.8 volts fixed power supply to another one with a variable voltage output. I plan to run my X6100 at 9 or 10 volts and see at least some amount of reduced heating and temperature build up.

A caveat: this is the data that I collected for my X6100. This may or may not be typical of other X6100's.




https://groups.io/g/x6100











No comments:

Post a Comment

Xiegu X6100 HF/50MHz Portable SDR Transceiver

XIEGU X6100 Users
https://groups.io/g/x6100